Discipling The Nations is committed to pursuing excellence in everything it does and this includes the management of health and safety.
1. At the DtN we are committed to achieving high standards of health, safety and environmental practice.
2. The Management Board expects staff, students, visitors, contractors and other employers who work at the College to share this commitment by complying with college policies and procedures, and to understand that they too have legal and moral obligations to themselves and to one another.
3. We intend to ensure the health and safety of all persons who may be affected by our activities by:
- Consulting with and involving our staff and students in matters relating to their own health and safety.
- Providing, managing and maintaining our workplaces, grounds, and properties so that they are, as far as reasonably practicable, safe and that risks to health are controlled.
- Providing adequate and appropriate facilities and arrangements for welfare at work.
- Providing, managing and maintaining plant and equipment so that it is, so far as reasonably practicable, safe and that risks to health are controlled.
- Identifying hazards and conducting formal risk assessments when appropriate in order to minimise the risk for all activities undertaken by the College.
- Ensuring that control measures and emergency procedures are: in place; effective; properly used; monitored and maintained.
- Implementing systems of work that are safe and where risks to health are controlled.
- Providing the information, instruction, training and supervision at all levels necessary to ensure that staff and students are competent to supervise or undertake their work activities and are aware of any related hazards and the measures to be taken to protect against them and giving adequate information on relevant hazards to any persons whose health and safety might be affected by them.
- Keeping up to date with best practice in relation to health and safety and complying with all relevant legislation and authoritative guidance.
- Monitoring the safety performance of contractors who work for us.
4. Where there are no existing College policies or guidance, we expect our staff, students and contractors to implement the highest relevant standards and to comply with relevant legislation. Where no standards or legislation exist, we will work with our staff, students and contractors to develop systems which comply with best practice and eliminate or minimise the risks so far as reasonably practicable.
5. We will promote a positive health and safety culture in the College and educate our staff and students in health and safety. Wherever possible, information on health and safety legislation and standards applicable to a particular course will be included. In areas of work or research which are highly regulated, staff and students will be expected to attend certain courses as a mandatory requirement.
6. We recognise that the College is a large and diverse organisation, therefore every Faculty, Division and Department, must have written arrangements describing how they intend to comply with this Policy Statement, giving details of what, by whom and how health and safety will be managed locally.
7. The College has several campuses and operates on many other sites. Many of its buildings are shared between more than one Faculty, Department/ Division and/ or, in some cases, external organisations. In such circumstances we will establish clear lines of responsibility for the effective coordination of health and safety between users.
8. We undertake to continually review and develop our safety management systems, with the overarching aim of conducting our activities in a manner which does not affect the health and safety of any staff, students, contractors, visitors or members of the public, or adversely affect the environment.
I and the other members of the Management Team are committed to this Policy and to the implementation and maintenance of the highest standards of health, safety and welfare across the College. We expect every member of the College to share this commitment and to work together to achieve it.